This new global report from the Food and Land Use Coalition (FOLU) proposes a reform agenda for food systems centred around ten critical transitions. These actionable solutions are intended to support progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement, help mitigate the negative effects of climate change, safeguard biodiversity, ensure more healthy diets for all, drastically improve food security and create more inclusive rural economies.
The critical transitions are:
- Promoting healthy diets
- Scaling productive and regenerative agriculture
- Protecting and restoring nature
- Security a healthy and productive ocean
- Diversifying protein supply
- Reducing food loss and waste
- Building local loops and linkages
- Harnessing the digital revolution
- Delivering stronger rural livelihoods
- Improving gender equality and accelerating the demographic transition
Cooperation across public and private sectors will be key to making the transitions a reality. Chapter 5 of the report helpfully sets out actions for everyone, including governments, business, farmers, investors, civil society and multistakeholder partnerships.