The impact of public private partnerships in food fortification are often restricted by economic, social, technical, and regulatory challenges. This summary report from the 2019 ILSI seminar documents a public private symposium on the challenges faced in Southeast Asia. It gives a brief outline of case studies on:
- Iodine Deficiency: Epidemiology, Consequences and Reduction Strategies
- Iodine Fortification of Salt and Seasoning Sauces in Thailand
- Thiamine and Riboflavin Fortification in Cambodia
- Introduction of Fortified Rice into the Canteen for Cambodian Female Workers
- Flour and Rice Fortification in Indonesia
The lack of coordination between sectors, barriers in communication, and the absence of clear, shared goals among stakeholders provides lessons for future public-private action on food fortification.