On 17-18 December 2020, the Government of Japan will host the Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit 2020 (N4G 2020). The summit is an unprecedented opportunity to set the world on a pathway towards achieving the SDG targets – in particular, to end malnutrition in all its forms by 2030 and strengthen the link between diet, food systems and health. Its timing is key, with 5 years to achieve the 2025 World Health Assembly targets, and 10 years to reach the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. At N4G 2020, the government of Japan aims to work with partners to galvanise commitments from governments, civil society, private sector, donor agencies and the UN to end malnutrition in all its forms.
In August 2019, the government of Japan released its N4G 2020 Vision and Roadmap: “The road to the Tokyo N4G Summit 2020 will kick off with a pledging event on July 23, 2020, on the eve of the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics in Tokyo, Japan, to spur action towards the December Summit. The outcomes of the December Summit will be enshrined in a 2020 Compact designed to accelerate the achievement of the objectives of the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition and the SDGs.”
The Government of Japan is calling for commitments to end malnutrition in all its forms under these 5 thematic areas:
- Health: Making nutrition integral to Universal Health Coverage for sustainable development.
- Food: Building food systems that promote safe, healthy diets and nutrition, ensure livelihoods of producers, and are climate-smart.
- Resilience: Addressing malnutrition effectively in fragile and conflict affected contexts.
- Promoting data-driven accountability.
- Securing new investment and driving innovation in nutrition financing.
We will continue to post updates on the 2020 Nutrition for Growth Summit on Nutrition Connect, and the Nutrition for Growth website has now been refreshed.
Related events and activities
The Government of Japan has signalled some key global and regional events to help build momentum to the 2020 N4G Summit. N4G milestone events include:
- SUN Global Gathering (Nov 2019)
- The Japan Nutrition for Growth Summit (N4G) - National actions on food, health and prosperity for all
- The African Leaders for Nutrition (ALN) presidential dinner in preparation for the Tokyo 2020 Nutrition for Growth Summit (Feb 2020)
- Global Nutrition Report launch (Early 2020)
- World Bank Annual Spring Meetings (Apr 2020)
- N4G Kick-Off Event at Goalkeepers Tokyo (23 July 2020)
- Midterm Review of UN Decade of Action on Nutrition (Aug 2020)
- Goalkeepers SDG (Aug 2020)
- Committee on World Food Security (Oct 2020)
- World Bank Annual Fall Meetings (Oct 2020)
- Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit 2020: Vision and Roadmap
- Commitment-Making Guide
- N4G commitment tracking tool
- Building business contribution for the 2020 Global Nutrition Summit | Watch the video | Read the concluding statement from the meeting co-chairs
- Business and the 2020 Global Nutrition Summit | Read the meeting summary
- Road to Tokyo, Spotlight interview: Preparing for N4G with the Government of Japan
- Blog: Five things we need from the Japan N4G Summit in December 2020
- Blog: Businesses getting ready for the Tokyo 2020 Nutrition for Growth (N4G) Summit
- Blog: Rethinking business engagement and nutrition: old and new
- Blog: Ending malnutrition by 2030 means running a different race. Let’s start now
In 2013, at the first N4G summit in London, 110 stakeholders agreed to prevent at least 20 million children from being stunted and save at least 1.7 million lives by 2020. Donors secured new commitments of over $4 billion to tackle undernutrition, and $19 billion in complementary nutrition-sensitive investments between 2013 and 2020. In 2017, at the Global Nutrition Summit in Milan, governments, civil society organizations, private philanthropies, and the private sector made financial and policy commitments totalling $3.4 billion. Learn more about Nutrition For Growth.